Distinguished Teacher Award Guidelines - Fall 2019
Due date for nominations is Friday, November 15, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. (ET).
Submit nominations via the link at the bottom of the page.
James Madison University prides itself on the accomplishments and commitment of its faculty. Each year, in recognition of superlative achievement in teaching, the College of Health and Behavioral Studies identifies one faculty member within the college as the recipient of the Distinguished Teacher Award.
- Currently hold full-time (non-retired or non-emeritus) status
- Have completed at least five years of service at JMU at the rank of assistant professor or above
- Have not received a Distinguished Teacher Award in the past 10 years
- Have consistently received satisfactory ratings in scholarly activity and service
- The candidate must have consistently demonstrated outstanding teaching
- The candidate is seen as a model for faculty and students
- Award recipients typically provide the Commencement address at the CHBS Commencement ceremony in May.
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- Nomination letter from academic unit (i.e. either the AUPAC or the AUH). The nomination letter should include detailed information about the candidate’s teaching accomplishments. It should also confirm the candidate’s scholarly activity and service performance. If the nomination is from the AUPAC, verification of the AUH’s support of the nomination must be included and should address the extent of that support. If the AUH is being nominated, a letter from the AUPAC only would be submitted.
- One additional nomination letter from a colleague or former student (If the AUH provides the nomination letter above, the AUPAC may provide the second letter or vice versa).
- Candidate’s personal narrative about his or her teaching philosophy and accomplishments (two-page maximum)
- Quantitative scores from teaching evaluations over a 3 year period
- Interview with the Faculty Development Committee, as deemed necessary
Each academic unit may nominate one or more faculty members for the award. Submit the information online by clicking the “Submit a Nomination” link below, completing the form, and attaching copies of the documents required for the award nomination. The documents will be forwarded to the chair of the Faculty Development Committee. The due date for all documents is Friday, November 15, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. (ET).
In the event a candidate is on the Faculty Development Committee, he or she will be recused from evaluating the teaching award nominees.
Submission of the Nomination
Click on the “Submit a Nomination” link at the bottom of the page to submit a nomination. Nominations should be submitted by the AUH or the AUPAC chair (or his/her designee). All required information should be gathered before the online submission process begins. Please have the following documents ready to submit to the web page:
APPLICATION CHECKLIST OF REQUIRED MATERIALS
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- Nomination letter from academic unit (i.e. the AUH or the AUPAC)
- One additional nomination letter from a colleague or former student
- Teaching evaluation scores (quantitative over a 3 year period)
- Candidate’s personal narrative about his or her teaching philosophy and accomplishments
Submit a Nomination Login with your JMU eID and password
The recipient of the College’s Distinguished Teacher Award will receive a $1,500 honorarium and will be recognized at a University and College meeting in the spring.