CHBS Mini-Grants Guidelines for 2017-2018
In support of faculty research, teaching and professional development, the Dean’s Office frequently offers mini-grants to be used as seed money for faculty projects.
Mini-grant funds may be used as seed money for various faculty projects or to fund small-scale faculty needs. Areas of funding might include:
- One-time purchase of supplies or equipment for curricula design/innovation and instruction
- Materials for research or scholarly endeavors
- Support for professional travel that meets a unique need such as specific research opportunities or specialized training to enhance teaching, etc. (Travel must occur before May 15 of the award year).
- These grants are not intended to support student research or student travel and cannot be used for gifts or donations.
The mini-grant awards will be based on the following:
- Quality of the idea or proposal
- Relation to the academic unit and College mission
- Need (based on potential availability of other funding)
The application process is intended to be short and simple. Click on the link below to submit your brief application. The following information will be needed to complete the application:
- Your name
- Your department name
- Any other faculty members included on the proposal with their department name(s) (All participating faculty members must be in CHBS)
- Amount of funds requested
- Short explanation of the proposal (i.e. how you would intend to use the funds and how this will enhance your professional life, advance the mission and goals of your academic unit, and advance the mission and priorities of the College). Explanations must be limited to approximately 250 words.
The mini-grant amount is up to $1,000.
Mini-grant funds must be spent by May 15 of the awarded year. All requests for funds must follow the state guidelines (see Guidelines and Spending Regulations for CHBS) and be in compliance with accounting and audit requirements.
If you find that your award funds cannot be used as your original proposed budget indicated, please notify the Dean’s Office, through Julie Love, right away.
Deadline and Review of Applications
Applications are due by 5:00 pm (EST) on Friday, January 12, 2018. Late submissions cannot be accepted.Application review begins immediately after the application deadline. Recipients will be notified via e-mail within approximately 30 days of the application deadline. The recipients will also be announced on the CHBS website.
NOTE: You will need to login to the VPN client in order to access the form off-campus. VPN software and instructions are available on the JMU website.