Madison Scholar Award Guidelines - Fall 2017
Due date for nominations is Friday, October 13, 2017 at 5:00 p.m. (ET).
Submit nominations via the link at the bottom of the page.
James Madison University prides itself on the accomplishments and commitment of its faculty. Each year, in recognition of superlative achievement in scholarship, the College of Health and Behavioral Studies identifies one faculty member within the college as the recipient of the Madison Scholar Award.
- Currently hold full-time (non-retired or non-emeritus) status
- Have completed at least five years of service at JMU at the rank of assistant professor or above
- Have not received a Madison Scholar Award in the past 10 years
- Have at least regional recognition in his or her field
- Have consistently received satisfactory ratings in teaching and service
- The candidate must have recently demonstrated outstanding scholarship/research.
- The candidate’s work must have been disseminated through peer reviewed publication and/or other means.
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- Nomination letter from academic unit (i.e. either the AUPAC or the AUH) highlighting the candidate’s breadth and depth of scholarly activities. The nomination letter should also confirm the candidate’s teaching and service performance. If the nomination is from the AUPAC, verification of the AUH’s support of the nomination must be included and should address the extent of that support. If the AUH is being nominated, a letter from the AUPAC only would be submitted.
- One letter of nomination from a source outside of the University
- Candidate’s personal narrative describing scholarly work and any reviews or references in other scholars’ research as is appropriate (two-page maximum).
Each academic unit may nominate one or more faculty members for the award. Submit the information online by clicking the “Submit a Nomination” link below and completing the form along with attaching copies of the documents required for the award nomination. The documents will be forwarded to the chair of the Faculty Development Committee. The due date for all documents is Friday, October 13, 2017 at 5:00 p.m. (ET).
In the event a candidate is on the Faculty Development Committee, he or she will be recused from evaluating the Madison Scholar award nominees.
Submission of the Nomination
Click on the “Submit a Nomination” link at the bottom of the page to submit a nomination. Nominations should be submitted by the AUH or the AUPAC chair (or his/her designee). All required information should be gathered before the online submission process begins. Please have the following documents ready to submit to the web page:
APPLICATION CHECKLIST OF REQUIRED MATERIALS
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- Nomination letter from academic unit (i.e. the AUH or the AUPAC)
- Nomination letter from one source outside of the university
- Candidate’s personal narrative about his/her scholarly work
Submit a Nomination Login with your JMU eID and password
The recipient of the College’s Madison Scholar Award will receive a $1,500 honorarium and will be recognized at a University and College meeting in the spring.