International Programs - Study Abroad
Students of the College of Health and Behavioral Studies (CHBS) are encouraged to participate in international study programs offered by James Madison University. Study abroad experiences challenge students and increase self-confidence. They can increase your appreciation of others and allow you to develop new perspectives regarding your home culture. Through international experiences you can increase your ability to interact effectively with people of other nationalities. International experiences can strengthen your resume, broaden your horizons, enrich your life, and open doors to future opportunities. Study abroad opportunities available at JMU are described on the Office of International Programs website. More information
CHBS Short Term Study Abroad Programs
CHBS is offering a variety of international study programs during Summer 2014. These programs may be of great interest to students enrolled in the programs of our college; many are open to all students or students in any health-related field of study. The deadline for applying to participate in most summer programs is November 1. Our programs are listed below. Follow the links for more information.
- Australia: International Health Perspectives (NSG 490). Open to all students in health professions.
- Austria: Cross-Cultural Psychology in Vienna (PSYC 200 or PSYC 400). Primarily for junior- or senior-level Psychology, Sociology, Social Work, History, Health Sciences, and German majors or minors.
- Costa Rica: Nursing and Healthcare in Costa Rica: An Interprofessional Perspective (NSG 490). Open to all students in health professions.
- Germany and Poland: Psychology of Ethnicity, Ethnic Conflict, and the Holocaust Open to all students. (PSYC 200 or PSYC 400).
- Ghana: Ghana Summer Abroad (SOWK 487, PSYC 200 and other options). Open to all students.
- India: Education and Healthcare for Children in India (IPE 490 and CDS 401). Open to all students.
- Ireland: Ireland and America: A cross-cultural study of identity (PSYC 200 or PSYC 400). Open to all students.
- Ireland: Sports Medicine and Culture (HTH 490). Primarily for junior or senior ATEP and SRM majors.
- Italy: Cross-Cultural Psychology in Perugia and Florence Italy (PSYC 200 or PSYC 400). Primarily for junior- or senior-level Psychology, Sociology, Social Work, Kinesiology, Health Sciences, and Italian majors or minors.
- Kenya: International Health: A Kenyan Perspective (NSG 490 or NSG 531). For advanced Nursing students including RN-BSN and graduate students.
- Spain: Health Care in Spain: A Cross-cultural Exploration of Illness and Wellness (NSG 453 and 453L, or NSG 490). Open to all students interested in health and human services.
Announcements & Important Dates
- Friday, August 28
College of Health and Behavioral Studies Opening Faculty Meeting
1:00 – 3:30 (lunch at 1:00)
Review the College Calendar
- Monday, August 31
Fall Semester Begins
- November 23-27
Thanksgiving break – no classes held
- December 14 - 18
- Saturday, December 19
- JMU Prediabetes Research Study