Distinguished Service Award Guidelines - Fall 2017
Due date for nominations is Friday, October 13, 2017 at 5:00 p.m. (ET).
Submit nominations via the link at the bottom of the page.
James Madison University prides itself on the accomplishments and commitment of its faculty. Each year, in recognition of superlative achievement in the area of service, the College of Health and Behavioral Studies identifies one faculty member within the college as the recipient of the Distinguished Service Award.
- Currently hold full-time (non-retired or non-emeritus) status
- Have completed at least five years of service at JMU at the rank of assistant professor or above
- Have not received a Distinguished Service Award in the past 10 years
- Have consistently received satisfactory ratings in scholarly activity and teaching
- The candidate must have demonstrated a depth and breadth of outstanding service at the university, local, regional and/or national level.
- The candidate must have taken on a variety of roles and responsibilities including leadership positions at these different levels.
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- Nomination letter from the academic unit (i.e. either the AUPAC or the AUH) highlighting the candidate's breadth and depth of professional service. The nomination letter should also confirm the candidate’s teaching and scholarship performance. If the nomination is from the AUPAC, verification of the AUH’s support of the nomination must be included and should address the extent of that support. If the AUH is being nominated, a letter from the AUPAC only would be submitted.
- One additional nomination letter (If the AUH provides the nomination letter above, the AUPAC may provide the second letter or vice versa).
- Candidate's personal narrative about his or her service activities (two-page maximum)
Each academic unit may nominate one or more faculty members for the award. Submit the information online by clicking the “Submit a Nomination” link below, completing the form, and attaching copies of the documents required for the award nomination. The documents will be forwarded to the chair of the Faculty Development Committee. The due date for all documents is Friday, October 13, 2017 at 5:00 p.m. (ET).
In the event a candidate is on the Faculty Development Committee, he or she will be recused from evaluating the service award nominees.
Submission of the Nomination
Click on the “Submit a Nomination” link at the bottom of the page to submit a nomination. Nominations should be submitted by the AUH or the AUPAC chair (or his/her designee). All required information should be gathered before the online submission process begins. Please have the following documents ready to submit to the web page:
APPLICATION CHECKLIST OF REQUIRED MATERIALS
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- Nomination letter from the academic unit (i.e. the AUH or the AUPAC)
- One additional nomination letter
- Candidate's personal narrative about his or her service activities
Submit a Nomination Login with your JMU eID and password
The recipient of the College’s Distinguished Service Award will receive a $1,500 honorarium and will be recognized at a College meeting in the spring.